Wednesday 13 April 2022

Eulogy for M. KanagaIingam at his funeral by M. SHANmughalingam on April 12, 2022.

I thank every one of you for taking the trouble to come here today to say goodbye to our dear Kana. This ceremony is as simple; as Kana always wanted things to be. Kana has just left the original 2nd generation of the family of Sangarapillai and Annapakiam Murugasu. I am now the only one left. They say that the good die young. This tells you about me. As schoolboys, when we came back later than 7 pm, K would rush in first and would get my Papa’s ‘welcome home slap’. Our Papa believed in ‘first come first served’. Kana got his own back. When our Amma, the master chef, made dodol, K was the first to massage her elbows. He then elbowed his way to so much dodol that there was little left for me. Kana made countless lifelong friends from his school days in the V.I. and our family’s happiest days in Thamby Abdullah Road, Brickfields. He continued to do so while working with SIA and ESSO in Spore & the Port Authority in Klang. My son Rohan, has been beside me from the time his Uncle Kana passed away. I am most grateful to my niece, Dr Bhavani Dato’ Dr Thillai, of Muar, KT and Seremban and to Jeyam Selliah for all the funeral arrangements for Kana. When my cousin, Justice Kulasekaram, Singapore stayed with us in Scott Road, he turned the names of my brothers Kana, Jay and me to initials, S, K and J. My daughter Shirene, has since named us the 'alphabet brothers'. Shirene’s sons, Noah, said 'Dearest Uncle K you were very nice and lovely and wonderful. We will miss you a lot.' Emile said, 'Uncle K sorry you passed away. You were the best. I will miss you. Love Emile.' Our sisters’ offspring, Vemala, Kamala, Indran and Rajeswaran in Melbourne, Shoba in Germany, our dear friend Felicity in Singapore and Santhirapalan in Brickfields were closest to Kana. As our niece, Federal Court Justice YA Datuk P. Nallini, granddaughter of our father’s brother, M.S. Kandiah of Ipoh said, 'he was a wonderful Uncle; so well read, witty, generous and kind. We are going to miss him dearly.' Vemala and Rajeswaran asked for a Eulogy from me and a video zoom recording of today’s proceedings. Our cousin, Jeyam Selliah has organised it. Kana was particular to never miss a funeral. His spirit will be very pleased to see all of you here today in person or via zoom. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Chinese New Year 2024